Friday, November 09, 2012

Read: The Universal Heart - A Practical Guide to Love

Image source: Amazon.com


Title: The Universal Heart - A Practical Guide to Love
Author: Stephanie Dowrick
Publisher: Allen & Unwin (2012)

Once again, I read another book by one of my favourite authors, Stephanie Dowrick. As I was reading, I felt as if I was learning from the wise guidance of a compassionate soul. This book, The Universal Heart, was first published in the year 2000. I was reading the 2012 edition of this publication which I had gladly gotten myself during my visit to Sydney earlier this year. I wish Singapore's book stores could appreciate Stephanie Dowrick's works more.

It took me more than a month to read all 444 pages of the book. In this book, Stephanie Dowrick explores how it is possible to live out our highest ideals and intentions in a life that is of love. Using her compassionate style of writing that has a psychological depth, she shows how we can live more appreciatively across all our relationships, including that with our own selves. I like the way she writes with such wisdom and compassion.

Some sections of the book got me thinking more deeply on issues that I had previously not given a deep thought on. I quite like the way that Stephanie Dowrick offers bite-size tips at the end of each chapter.

If it helps to give you a glimpse of the wonderful topics that were discussed in this book, let me try to list down the key chapters in this book:
1) Love generously
2) Know what is going own
3) Live encouragingly
4) Trust others
5) Listen Carefully
6) Value truth as your ally
7) Light up your shadow
8) Transform aggression
9) Relate as an adult
10) Every day, a new beginning.

This is a book to read to learn from a wise and compassionate soul. I find this book deeply thoughtfully and sets me thinking about the larger issues related to humanity. Even though it took me quite a while to read this book as I was reading it while I was commuting and waiting in the queues, I am very glad to read this book that encouragingly affirms that it is possible to live a life that is of love and worth living.

***
Also see: http://ebooks.avidreader.com.au/product/9781742695402

No comments: