Saturday, September 22, 2012

26 May 2012: Ferry rides and a visit to Milsons Point yet again



26 May 2012 (Sat):
It was the day when I would leave Sydney to return to my hometown, Singapore. Time flew.

One of my favourite activities in Sydney was to take a ride on the ferry. After breakfast, I headed for Circular Quay and took a ferry to Milsons Point. It was a pretty difficult choice. I would have preferred to visit Watsons Bay. Yet, after analyzing the ferry schedules, Milsons Point was a more practical choice due to the practical constraints involved. That day, there were a number of disruptions to the train routes and a few of the train stations in the city area were not in operation. This meant possible delays in travelling time. I did not wish to risk being late to catch a plane back to Singapore and so I needed to make sure I had more than enough time to return to the hotel and to travel to the airport in time to catch my flight.

I was waiting to board the ferry.
You could tell where I was sitting on this ferry from this photograph.
Circular Quay. Taken from the ferry.

One of the beautiful views from the ferry.

Milsons Point! There I was again!

I took time to enjoy the beauty of Milsons Point. It was high tide when I was there. I saw an interesting ship with a design from the past.



I was mindful that the next ferry back to Circular Quay was at about In my anxious efforts to save some time so that I could explore more of the city area, I decided to take a bus to Milsons Point train station instead of taking the 10.53 a.m. ferry back to Circular Quay. When I reached the Milsons Point train station, I was in time to catch the 10.40 a.m. train to Wynyard station. However, while I was double-checking whether it was the right train to take, the train was ready to leave, and I had missed the 10.40 a.m. train. The next train came close to half-an-hour later. I end up not saving much time in the end.

An interesting ship sighted from Milsons Point.



My lessons learnt: Forget about saving time or doing as much things as possible. Stick to doing what I love, and just do it. At the end of the day, even though I may take a longer time and may do lesser things, I get to do the things that I love (in this case, it was taking rides on the ferry). Forget about taking short-cuts if it does not involve doing things that I enjoy.



Thankfully, I quite like the train rides. Yet, I prefer the ferry rides well better. A lesson that is vividly learnt shall be remembered for a longer time.

At Milsons Point train station.

On my way to the hotel, I visited one of the Darrell Lea Chocolate shops. The chocolates from Darrell Lea are delicious, and may Darrell Lea somehow overcome its challenges in sales and thrive.

Maybe the secret to overcoming the challenges was simply to go back to doing things out of love and forget about shortcuts?

***
Milsons Point 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milsons_Point,_New_South_Wales

Nearest train station: Milsons Point.
Nearest wharf: Milsons Point/ Luna Park

***
Also see:
25 May 2012: A morning at Milsons Point
16 Nov 2010: The peaceful Milsons Point
19 Nov 2010: Back to Milson Point and the evening stroll

Also visit: Sydney, May 2012: A time to heal and to be inspired

No comments: