Monday, January 17, 2011

19 Nov 2010: The afternoon get-away, and back to Watsons Bay

19 Nov 2010, Fri:

Participating in The Rocks Walking Tour was a fabulous way to spend the morning. At slightly after noon, just before the tour was to come to a close, I excused myself for a lunch appointment. My friend, RL, had a lunch appointment with one of her friends, and I was invited to join them. I found my way to the lunch venue by asking for directions and by taking the risks to search for the place. It was quite a fun adventure.

Lunch was at a food establishment called Asagao. It was located at MetCentre. I had some kind of fish bento. The fish was nice and fresh. The company was good too. I got to make one new friend over the short lunch that we had.

My initial plan for the afternoon was to consider a Harbour Bridge climb or to visit one of the museums in Sydney. Anyway, I did not know how my intuition had eventually decided to tell me to take up my dear friend's offer for me to hitch a ride to Watsons Bay. My friend drove me to Watsons Bay. On the way to Watsons Bay, we passed by Rose Bay which I had missed visiting much earlier.

Finally, we reached Watsons Bay. It was a fairly windy day. I ventured near the shores on my own and then ended up doing sketches. My friend joined me when I was doing my sketches. She was very patient to enjoy the scenery while waiting for me to finish the sketches. I wonder if I had been a bit engrossed with sketching that day?





Watsons Bay has its own beautiful charm. I love the tranquility of Watsons Bay. I could have stayed there for hours if not for the fact that I had a tour to attend at 4 p.m. that day at the Sydney Opera House and that my friend had to reach the city by 4 p.m. While we were at Watsons Bay, my friend and I saw seagulls. I was pretty tempted to do some portraits of one of the seagulls. In the end, deciding that there was time constraint, I had captured the seagull on digital film.


On the way to the city, we passed by Rose Bay yet again. That time, I caught a glimpse of a familiar cafe and the site which used to be a church has turned into a residential estate. Perhaps that was why there is a saying that goes the only thing constant is change itself.

Thank goodness for a safe journey back to the city area. My friend somehow unintentionally drove us back and forth Harbour Bridge. That drive across the Harbour Bridge effectively meant that I had crossed the Harbour Bridge on a car. That was not of any significance to me. What had mattered was for my friend and I to reach the city safe and sound.

On the car, my friend shared with me some local products that were popular as gifts. These were: Darrell Lea, Haigh's Chocolates, Anzac biscuits and Lamingtons.

Before we knew it, it was close to 4 p.m. and time to part. Many thanks to my friend, RL, for her precious time out for an afternoon get-away.

****
People and moments that I am grateful for:
1) I am thankful to RL for taking time out to meet up for lunch and her offer to give me a lift to Watsons Bay.
2) I thank my friend for her patience and understanding when I was doing my sketches. Perhaps she had somehow figured I very much needed the space?
3) The weather was good and the journey was safe.

New things that I did:
1) I have made one new friend in Sydney.

My learning points:
1) Could I write that I realised that being safe wherever one goes is what matters? The missed-turns, the paths that we had taken when we lost our way and the seemingly extra miles to take are secondary when we are safe and in good company.
2) I learnt that I like to be close to the shores and the waters though I do not necessary like the sandy and rocky beaches. At the very least, that could explain why I had visited Watsons Bay thrice during my trip to Sydney in November 2010.

No comments: