Sunday, November 07, 2010

Read: In the Company of Rilke

Title: In the Company of Rilke
Author: Stephanie Dowrick
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Published in 2009
ISBN: 978 1 74237 180 1

Sometime ago, I had the great pleasure to read a number of books written by Stephanie Dowrick. I like her thoughtful and clear writing style. As such, although my first impression of the book "In the Company of Rilke" was not very favourable, I decided to pick up a copy of the book anyway because it was written by Stephanie Dowrick.

This book is in short about a poet, Rainer Maria Rilke (4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926), and his writings. While this is not the kind of book that I would usually read, I am glad that I had made the effort to read it eventually. Reading the booking reignited my interests in poetry. As Rilke wrote in German and not English, all of the quoted poems in this book were translated. I felt his poems have qualities of depth and yearning. Some I have read a couple of times, and could not quite comprehend their full essence. Anyway, it is still nice to do something new and read a book that I may otherwise not have read.


On the side, I have found a website that lists the various poems written by Rilke. Here's the link: http://www.poemhunter.com/rainer-maria-rilke

No comments: