Saturday, July 11, 2009

Another lovely evening at Little India


Colourful Little India, it is quite an interesting place to visit when one is in Singapore. It has charms of its own that intrigue me.

Firstly, other than a love for air-wells, I have an interest in the pre-war shop-houses in Singapore simply because I have a fascination with walking along five-foot ways. Secondly, the fragrance of spices and flowers in the Little India area are simply treats for the senses, at least for yours truly.

Today, I visited Little India with one of my good friends. She is kind and accomodated to my request to visit one of the South Indian temples in the Little India area, Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple. We had the honour to observe a religious ceremony (temple worship) when we were there.


I am pleased to share that I have learnt something new as a result of my visit to Little India. That has to do with the theories to answering this question: Why are certain Hindu Gods and Goddesses depicted in blue?

"One of the theories is that Vishnu, because of his association with water, is depicted blue; therefore all his incarnations including Krishna, are shown as such. In Hinduism, persons who have depth of character and the capacity to fight evil are depicted as blue skinned. ...

"The theory of the blue coloring of Krishna goes to the fact that the Creator has given the maximum of blue to nature i.e. the sky, the oceans, the rivers and lakes. The deity who has the qualities of bravery, manliness, determination, the ability to deal with difficult situations, of stable mind and depth of character is represented as blue colored. Lord Krishna spent his life protecting humanity and destroying evil, hence he is colored blue."

(Source: Yahoo answers)

Many thanks to my friend for noticing that some of the statues of the gods in the temple were depicted as blue-skinned, and for sharing her findings on this with me. Yeah! One new thing I have learnt today! Our friends help us see things that we may otherwise not have noticed on our very own. Thank goodness for friends.



The delicious dinner that my friend and I had at a stall near Desker Rd.

2 comments:

eastcoastlife said...

Seeing Little India, it reminds me that I haven't been there for a meal for quite some time. :)

oceanskies79 said...

Eastcoastlife: Thanks for stopping by. I remember you have a liking for Indian food. :)