Saturday, October 11, 2008

The simple things that make the day much more bearable

This post would take a bit of challenge to write.

About a couple of weeks ago, I have committed myself to write positive things on this blog. The challenge would be how to write a positive post when the day has not been all that smooth. Then again, just like every cloud has its silver lining, if one looks closely enough, there's usually something positive in each day that has passed.

Physical pain and discomfort struck me today. I wonder if it's going to be a monthly affair? Hopefully not. Anyway, I am glad to say that I have survived almost the entire day, and am still alive!

In the late morning, there was a wedding worth celebrating for. One of my friends whom I have known for 16 years got married today. Congratulations to the couple. There was a sermon given by a pastor during the wedding ceremony at the church. With the physical condition I was going through, it was quite commendable that I could still remember one of the things that the pastor had said. It was somewhat on the value of forgiveness, and that "the person is more important than the issue". This would be something to be mindful of if someone significant gets us upset due to any issue.

I managed to see one of my good friends, J, at the wedding. J was rather thoughtful to attempt to get her 11-months old child to give me a gentle pat to comfort me when she realised that I wasn't feeling near my best. In the afternoon, she sent a caring message which was much appreciated.

This evening, I have yet another chance to listen to a concert, Suddenly Last Summer by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO). I was given complimentary tickets to the concert. This time, the tickets were a birthday gift from SSO for my birthday this year, which was many months ago. Thankfully, SSO has decided to give flexibility so that one could even request for complimentary tickets to a concert that is held months after one's birthday.

I am thankful that I managed to sit through the entire concert, and paid almost full attention listening to the orchestra's brilliant rendition of the Second Symphony by one of my favourite composers, Brahms. It was a fulfilling experience to listen to a symphony, by Brahms, live! I wonder why, I seemed to hear an underlying sense of yearning for something in Brahm's Second Symphony, particularly the second movement. The music also seemed to suggest that one was struggling both internally and externally to attempt to get closer to fulfill one's yearnings. Maybe that is why I like Brahm's symphonies. There seemed to be underlying complexities even in the most beautiful passages.

I also enjoyed the Richard Strauss' Horn Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major, Op. 11 that was played during the concert. It was a very interesting composition indeed. I think I would listen to Strauss' music with a different light in the future.

After the concert, on my ride on the MRT train back home, I shall be grateful that the passengers who stood near me actually tolerated with me humming tunes aloud on the MRT train all the way from City Hall station to Ang Mo Kio station. I wasn't humming very loud actually. Nevertheless, I was humming away. I needed to make some music to distract myself from the physical discomforts and to ease the pain. So humming became the most natural thing to do. Thank goodness for the tolerant and understanding strangers.

Back at home, I received a caring message and gift via Facebook from RL and ET. These caring messages and acts of kindness helped bring comfort to make the day much more bearable. Thank you, RL and ET.

Yes, I am alive. Thanks for the simple things that had happened today that made the day much more bearable.

I hope I have managed to write a positive post afterall?

5 comments:

mistipurple said...

you're doing good with all your positive vibes.
hope you'll have a good sunday!

Doreen said...

Oh yes, definitely a positive post! In fact, your post has made me rethink about how I should change my perspective in seeing my life and the things evolving around me. Everday is about choices. No matter what we choose, the day still goes by, the world still keeps spinning. So why chose to be pessimistic right?

oceanskies79 said...

Misti and Doreen: Thank you for your positive feedback. :)

By the way, I am feeling much better already.

eastcoastlife said...

It's good to stay positive, you get less illness and gain more friends.

Stay cheerful and look on the bright side, always. The sun will always come up tomorrow. *hugs*

oceanskies79 said...

eastcoastlife: Thank you for your encouraging comments. :)

My friend, XS, deserves some credit to remind me to be positive. :)