Saturday, May 31, 2008

Week 22 of year 2008 on the double bass

25 May 2008, Sun: I spent time practising the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. The goal was to improve intonation and the clarity of the sound produced.

28 May 2008, Wed: Before the start of the orchestra rehearsal, I practised the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. The greatest challenge was to learn how to play the part where there is use of double-stops.

During the orchestra rehearsal, the orchestra rehearsed various work including the sight-reading of the first movement from Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony. We played an arrangement of tunes from the movie Forrest Gump and a few other works. These works will be performed during the orchestra's public performance at Vivo City sometime on 20 September this year.

29 May 2008, Thu: I continued to work on sight-reading during my weekly double bass lesson with MJ. He showed me how I could approach sight-reading exercises that involve syncopation. In addition, he reminded me to count mentally when playing sight-reading exercises.

I continued to work on the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto after the sight-reading exercises. As this is a work from the classical period, I was reminded not to play with too much emotions, and not to overdo the vibrato.

30 May 2008, Fri: I practised the second movement of Dittersdorf's Second Double Bass Concerto. Needing more concentration and focus.

31 May 2008, Sat: I spent some moments practising the second movement of Dittersdort's Second Double Bass Concerto.

Today, I have received by air-mail the copy of Osborne's Gargoyles that I have ordered online. As I started trying to read Osborne's Gargoyles, I started to have doubts on my abilities to sight-read contemporary works for the double bass. I gave up on sight-reading the work after working on it for a few bars. Somehow, I have yet to find ways to relate to the music.

I took some time to play selected passages from Mendelssohn's Italian Symphony. I marvelled at Mendelssohn's ingenious use of harmony. At the same time, I struggled trying to play many of the passages at sight. These are moments when doubts creep in.

Where should I be heading?

2 comments:

Doreen said...

Just follow your heart dear and you'll get there. One question, is double bass quite heavy? I have never lay my hands on one but due to the size I would say very heavy? Hehehehe

oceanskies79 said...

Doreen: Hello. I hope I would know where to head and get there.

The double bass is a little bulky considering its size. However, it is hollow, so it isn't as heavy as it seems.