Sunday, March 02, 2008

Week 9 of year 2008 on the double bass

24 Feb 2008, Sun: A day for close to 6 hours of rehearsal. I suppose it is a way to put one's stamina to test. Thankfully I was still able to play the trio from the third movement Beethoven's Fifth Symphony at the intended speed.

25 Feb 2008, Mon: I practised a selected few bars from second movement of Keyper's Romance and Rondo. I still need to get a clearer sound when I stop the note using the third finger.

27 Feb 2008, Wed: There was double bass sectional in the evening and we worked on the third movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Later in the evening, there was a rehearsal to rehearse the entire concert programme.

28 Feb 2008, Thu: For the double bass lesson, I was struggling to play the sight-reading pieces. Most of the time, I have difficulties sight-reading the rhythms at first sight. That left me feeling so unconfident about my ability to sight-reading at diploma level that I decided I might need to postpone my plans to sit for DipABRSM to next year. The feeling of having lose some time bugs me nevertheless.

29 Feb 2008, Fri: In the evening, there was rehearsal at YST Conservatory of Music, Conservatory Hall. The hall has much better acoustics than the University Cultural Hall. The orchestra played the entire concert programme. My personal favourite's Beethoven's Fifth Symphony although admittedly, it is a very difficult piece to play well for the double bass section.

1 Mar 2008, Sat: There was rehearsal in the late afternoon. I decided to reserve my energy so that I won't exhaust myself before the actual concert begins.

The actual concert was considered a success. The turnout was pretty good, and I particularly like the rendition of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony.

No comments: