Saturday, February 09, 2008

Week 6 of year 2008 on the double bass

3 Feb 2008, Sun: During the orchestra rehearsal, I played and rehearsed most of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. It is satisfying to realise that compared with my rendition of this symphony a few years ago, my rendition of this symphony now has improved. Practice does makes perfect.

Playing musis in the orchestra has been stimulating for the mind, and a good way to provide an outlet of expression for me. I enjoy the process of practising for and realising a piece of music.

6 Feb 2008, Wed: I practised selected passages from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, particularly the Trio from the third movement so as to work towards playing the passage from memory.

Later in the evening, I attempt to play Dragonetti's solo in e minor and more passages from Beethoven's Fifth Symphony. Somehow, my left index finger has developed a blister. It got pretty painful to play, so I stopped practising for the day.

7 Feb 2008, Thu: Much of the day's practice focused on practising the fourth movement from Marcello's Sonata in G major. Intonation has improved somewhat.

8 Feb 2008, Fri: I tried to play some sections from Dragonetti's solo in e minor. Somehow, technically, I felt I was still not up to the standards to play this work.

I moved on to practise the second movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major. My right-hand technique appeared to have improved with the right hand being more flexible. However, when I attempted the first and third movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major, I felt unmoved by my rendition. Sometimes, it can be a blow to one's confidence when one's mind is not focused.

****

The momentum to practise is somewhat there. However, it seems like there isn't a irrepressible urge to play on the double bass during every waking moment. Furthermore, contrary to what I hope, I did not seem to have as much motivations to practise my proposed programme for DipABRSM as I should have. I was more keen to play anything that would be outside the programme. In some ways, this can be healthy as my mind would not be fixated on just playing for exams. Then again, these are the very signs that makes me think thrice about retaking DipABRSM Performance in Double Bass this year. My tutor has been urging me to do so by this year. Yet, I am not sure if I would be ready to do so. At the very least, I don't just want to play the programme for the exams well. I wish to be able to play most of the pieces that are equivalent to DipABRSM standard fairly competently.

No comments: