Saturday, August 18, 2007

Week 33 of year 2007 on the double bass

Time flies, and it is now end of week 33 of the year.

12 Aug 2007, Sun: I practised scales (e.g. F major, F harmonic minor F melodic minor, and A major) this morning. In addition, since I would like to give the left hand a break, I played open strings for at least 5 minutes ensuring that I could achieve a nice warm tone and nice bow changes.

Afterwhich, time was spent playing a selected section of Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro.

13 Aug 2007, Mon: Time was spent practising some simple studies for the double bass. I continued to focus on the right-hand techniques, to achieve a uniform sound quality as I drew the bow.

15 Aug 2007, Wed: I attended the orchestra rehearsal. In the evening, there was an orientation programme to introduce the orchestra to the Year ones and potential new members. Hopefully, the double bass section can have a few new members joining us this year.

For the evening of orchestra rehearsal, we rehearsed Selections from Phantom of the Opera (Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Arranged by Calvin Custer), one of the movements from Stravinsky's The Firebird and the fourth movement of Mahler's Symphony No. 1.

16 Aug 2007, Thu: Double bass lesson was held in the late afternoon. My tutor, MJ, asked that I play Marcello's Sonata in G major. I was asked to practising playing using short bows for a particular passage of the second movement.

In addition, time was spent practising Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro so that it would sound musical to the ears of a member of the audience.

I had the pleasure to play on MJ's antique double bass (which I heard cost quite a bit of money and is one of the few of its kind in the world) for a few minutes. My goodness, a good instrument does make playing so much easier, and makes the sound sounds so beautiful with less effort. I wish one day I can accumulate enough savings to purchase a much better double bass. Till then, I shall continue to improve on my playing and maybe pray for someone to sponsor me a nice double bass? Is there such a deal in this world?

18 Aug 2007: In the afternoon, I met with dear J, my friend and piano accompanist for the exams, to practise. I have her to thank for being so patient with me when we were rehearsing today. We rehearsed Faure's Sicilienne and Marcello's Sonata in G major. When I hear the piano parts of Sicilienne, I cannot help but feel that Faure is indeed a genius composer in writing interesting harmonies and lovely melodies.

Exams is now a month away. May my little finger heal fully soon.

**
Achieving targets in terms of my practising goals. I ask for healing and better health.

1 comment:

pinkie said...

oh, you're still practising hard... do take care k...