Sunday, July 15, 2007

Writing programme notes

I have spent quite sometime last evening and this evening writing programme notes for the upcoming DipABRSM exams.

Actually, I have started writing a few drafts and working on the initial research since a few months ago. However, it has been quite a challenge to find certain information that I had wanted from the libraries. I think I would soon need to get help from the librarians from the library@esplanade.

Here are some online sources that I shall take time to browse through at this stage of drafting the programme notes.

http://www.abrsm.org/resources/writingProgNotesApr05.pdf
Lennox Berkeley

I wonder if there is a strategy to do research on music-related topics? I seem to be needing some help now. It has been such a challenge to find information related to Franz Keyper (1756 to 1815). The authoritative The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (2001 edition) did not have an entry on Keyper. I shall keep my fingers crossed that future editions would have the entry.

In addition, I can't even seem to find recordings of Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. This is either a sign that I have to be more patient in my search, or that I need to learn how to be more effective in searching for the relevant sources. I would like to learn more about the works that I will be playing.

Anyway, at least I have written something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi PY, it's been a while since I dropped by.

I can understand your frustration on working on researching a topic. Sorry, I have not done any research on music related topics.
Can you utilize your school's library database to do your research? Just an idea.

Good luck!

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Dawn, thank you for coming by with an idea. Thanks for the idea, the thing is that I am no longer a full-time student of any institution.

I am studying for Diploma in music performance as a private candidate outside my own work commitments.

I sought a librarian's help this evening and was told that the local national library did not contain any information on Franz Keyper.

Simple American said...

Best of luck in your research. Hope you find your topics. Perhaps a wiki may provide some leads.