Saturday, July 07, 2007

Week 27 of year 2007 on the double bass

Taken during NUS Symphony Orchestra's concert held on 16 Mar 2007.
Photo credits: Jay


1 Jul 2007, Sun: I continued to practise Rachmaninov's Vocalise focusing on the rhythm, and improving on the intonation. It is sounding better.

After a break, I continued with Berkeley's Introduction and Allegro. It pleases me that I am getting better at playing this work.

Then I ended the practice session for the day by working on selected sections from Keyper's Romance and Rondo. I still need some work on Romance and Rondo.

3 Jul 2007, Tue: After a long day at work, I was pleased that I managed to take time out to practise on the double bass from 10.25 p.m. to 10.50 p.m. It was a short practice session, but I believe it would help. I worked on the third movement (Grave) from Marcello's Sonata in G major, being mindful of the rhythm and the intonation. I managed to fine-tune some rhythmic issues.

4 Jul 2007, Wed: It was orchestra rehearsal day. Mr F conducted the rehearsal and rehearsed both the 3rd and the 4th movements of Mahler's First Symphony. I heard that we won't be rehearsing Mahler's First Symphony for the next few rehearsals as the orchestra will be playing musicals related works for an upcoming performance.

7 Jul 2007, Sat: Yeah! I met up with my friend, J, today at her place. J has so kindly and generously agreed to accompany me on the piano for my upcoming DipABRSM exams.

We practised Keyper's Romance and Rondo and Marcello's Sonata in G major. It was a revelation for me to be able to listen to how the double bass and piano would fit together for these pieces. I realised that the piano parts for Keyper's Romance and Rondo sounded very nice, it felt so fun to play. I like the sounds of J's piano too. It has a warm and generally clear sound. Many thanks to J for accompanying me.

After our more than an hour session practising together, J's husband treated both of us to a delicious dinner. He did the cooking, and I can say confidently that he is competent at cooking. After dinner, I have had some time to catch up with my dear friend, J, and I had the privilege to look at her wedding photos. I am sure these photos will be invaluable records of some treasured moments.

Amazingly, some peaceful times with a good friend and a good session playing on the double bass can help relieve me from the feelings of being down. Cheers.

J and her husband have been very nice. They gave me and my double bass a lift all the way from their home to mine. Many thanks again to both of them.

**
Another week of reaching my target of practising at least four days per week.

This week is special because I had a pretty good session working with J. I am beginning to realise that I prefer playing works where I get to play with others than those where I play all alone by myself. It's more fun and rewarding.

No comments: