Sunday, July 01, 2007

Of nostalgia

29 Jun 2007.

I was on my way to Chun See's home located nearby Sixth Avenue. Chun See had kindly and generouslyagreed to a Yesterday.sg gathering at his place.

While it was my first time to his home, the journey to his home has brought a sense of nostalgia. Both the schools that I had attended during my secondary and junior college days were located fairly near the area. Reflecting, it is strange how our memories could work. For me, if I were to walk or take a ride that passes by a place where I have had spent time at, the memories would start to be recollected. If I were to think deeper, I would realise how my past could have led me to become the person I am right now.

On the journey to Chun See's home, I recalled the times that I had to wait at the bus-stop outside the then-The Chinese High School. In my times, the reason that would have brought me there during my secondary school days would be because there was a combined sports meet. The journey also reminded me of the times when I would have to alight at that very bus-stop to walk across that overhead bridge that would lead me to the junior college that I had studied in.

Anyway, I had managed to alight at the right bus-stop and found my way to Chun See's home. His home is like a mini botanic garden, I would say. I was quite attracted to the Pitcher Plants and Venus Flytraps in his garden.




By about past 7 p.m., quite a number of the Friends of Yesterday.sg had arrived. Dr Tan Wee Kiat gave me and the rest of the Friends the privilege to view the proof-read version of his upcoming book. I've found it quite a witty and humorous read. If you would like to know why, do check out this book when it's published.





More of my sense of nostalgia was triggered when I saw a Yangqin sitting in Chun See's living room. I do not play the Yang-Qin, but seeing it reminded me of the good times that I have had as a member of the Chinese Orchestra when I was much younger.





Anyway, the food offered a nice form of distraction to get me back to reality and out of being stuck in nostalgia. Yummy. Thanks to Chun See and his family for being hospitable hosts.






At the meet-up, Dr Tan played beautiful music on the harmonic to delight everyone. I like the part whereby he played one piece of music without having any of his hand on the harmonica. Cool technique!

The sounds of the harmonica somehow reminded me of the days when I had to learn to play the harmonica when I was a student in Secondary Two. I quite like to listen to good harmonica playing, but I have never like the part about having to clean one's harmonica after every use.





Dr Tan had also made me feel jealous when he showed everyone that he could carry two harmonicas all in one of his pockets. I play the double bass but I can never carry even a single double bass in any of my pocket. Whatever the size, I love playing the double bass.


Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
A double bass, standing tall at about 2 metres.



Just before I left for home, Marvin, director of the Museum of Shanghai Toys made my day by agreeing to my request to allow me to take non-flash photography should I visit the museum. This gives me more reason to visit it soon, with my friends. And thanks to Marvin, the Yesterday.sg gathering at Chun See's home has been documented on Museum of Shanghai Toys's blog.

Dr Tan very kindly gave me and Preetamrai a lift on his car, and I love the music from 92.4 FM that Dr Tan had played in his car. Alright, I have a liking for music written centuries ago for I have been playing such music for a couple of years in a Symphony Orchestra.

I don't know why, but I am left with a conclusion that even though I am living in the present, my life is still quite interconnected with my past. Nostalgia seems to be the word for the day.

***
Also see:
Yesterday.sg Meetup No. 4
Photos taken by Kenneth
Yesterday.sg gathering

3 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

I had a great time hosting the gathering. And got to know a few more young friends; including a pleasant surprise that one of them was my wife's former students in MGS.

oceanskies79 said...

Three cheers to you again, Chun See.

Such a small world afterall.

Crazyaboutsports said...

Thanks for the this nice blog entry. Know I'm abit late haha. I had fun, glad to know that you enjoyed yourself during the gathering too. :)