Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Played the double bass solo today

In Mahler's First Symphony, there is a double bass solo at the beginning of the third movement. I have written a post on The double bass solo in Mahler's First Symphony last week on d'Bassists official webhome.

Today isn't the first time I have played this double bass solo, but it was the first time that I have played this solo with the entire orchestra. Thank goodness it was passable. I needed to work more on the intonation, and my rendition of the last two bars of this solo. There is a challenging shift in the last two bars of the solo. More practice to get it to sound the way I want it to.

Another thing I may need to learn is to still play the solo as if it were any regular passage. I can say I would prefer to feel relaxed and alert while playing that solo than to find a tinge of pressure that I have everyone's eyes and ears on my solo. Relax and be alert.

If you wonder how that double bass solo would sound like, maybe you can check out this link to a video clip of conductor, Claudio Abbado, rehearsing the third movement of Mahler's First Symphony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lI7icWPfoc

I heard that our orchestra will be playing the third and fourth movement of Mahler's First Symphony for an upcoming concert in September 2007. Details to be confirmed.

**
Related post:
The double bass solo in Mahler's First Symphony

No comments: