Monday, January 22, 2007

My tall baby husband needs nurturing

My instrument, the double bass, stands about 2 metres tall. If you have followed my blog closely, I affectionately refer to my double bass as "my husband". That makes me "his wife", won't it be?

I am starting to think of my dear "husband" as a baby who needs nurturing. "He" needs his "wife" (i.e. me) to spend time with him, so that "he" will sound well when his "wife" plays on him.

Time is precious. With work responsibilities and many other commitments, I realised that it is a challenge to put aside time to practise on my instrument. My hats off to the parents with young children and put aside time to nurture and guide their children. I think the children would demand much more of their parents' time than my "husband". "He" at least doesn't protest verbally. "He" simply gives incentives to his "wife" by sounding better if his "wife" finds time to spend quality hours practising on him.

Having said so, maybe I could infer why I could not dream about having children, at least not in the near future. I have no intention now to be willing to sacrifice the time meant for my baby "husband" just to take care of young children.

My hips have been hurting intermittenly today. While my mind has been fixated on the idea of practising so that I could realise those double bass tunes that have been ringing in my mind, my body has been feeling tired from the long day. Nevertheless, I shall give myself a pat on the shoulder for being self-disciplined enough to start my practising routine at 9.45 p.m. I took a short break after practising for half-an-hour. My total practise time today should be about 40 minutes. I decided to go slow today, and work on getting the rhythms of the first movement of Marcello's Sonata in G major right. Yeah, I was pretty close.

However, with a mind that was tired, my practise session on the third movement of the same sonata appeared disastrous. No doubt, I had played all the notes almost in tune from the first bar to the last. However, I could not hear any sense of music from the notes that I had played. I decided to stop just there. It looks like if I want a good practise session, I need adequate rest, and, more time!

Does anyone of you have non-living object that would need your nurturing too?

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

i form attachments to many things, including doors. lol!

eastcoastlife said...

Shouldn't you see a doctor regarding your hip problem? It's not good to delay treatment?