Saturday, December 30, 2006

11 Nov 2006: At the nearby town

(Hainan 2006)

On the morning of 11 Nov 2006, my relatives, my parents and I took a ride to the nearby town.

The vehicles in the suburbs and the rural areas of Hainan appeared to be works of improvisation. Look at the photo of the vehicles below. They appeared to be a cross between a motorcycle and a umbrella-like frame.




I was feeling hungry by the time we reached the nearby town. As such, I felt very glad that my uncle led us to a shop that sells beef noodles. We had breakfast there.

I noticed that instead of using fresh beef, dried beef was used. I wonder if the use of dried beef was due to the lack of availability of fresh beef in the district or the fact that the folks at the town prefer dried beef. Anyway, the dried beef tasted nice because of the spices that were used to marinate it.




After the breakfast, my aunt, uncle led us about the town. There were quite a number of constructions going on in the town. I took particular notice of people selling live ducklings and chickens along the streets. Such scenes are non-existent in Singapore now.





I realised that I was one of the few people on the streets who had a camera and was taking photographs. As such, there were many times that the passerbys turned their heads round to look at me.














I heard that these are the ploughs pulled by the bulls in the fields.




3 comments:

pinkie said...

looks much like Singapore in the 60s... goodness, ducklings and chickens for sale!

eastcoastlife said...

My hubby's parents are from Hainan Island & they have been talking about going back to visit the relatives there.
Gosh, I don't know if I can take this? I'm so used to clean & green Singapore. I have a weak stomach.

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: I have never lived physically in the 1960s of Singapore, so I can't be sure. But I was fascinated to see ducklings on sale along the streets.

Eastcoastlife: Ah, that means your hubby is a true-blue Hainanese? You may wish to check if the relatives are living in the town area or the rural areas.

I had thought that I won't be able to get used to staying in the village for even a day, but it was still possible.

I don't think I can live in the Hainan village for a long period of time, but a few days there came to be a fairly good respite, despite some difficulties in adjustment initially. Having hospitable and understanding relatives can help a lot.