Friday, October 20, 2006

Showing love

This shall be a post that is in some ways, reflective. I don't usually write much about my work as I observe the practice of maintaining confidentiality. I shall still maintain confidentiality of the stories behind those whom I work with. In this post, I shall write on thoughts arising from my own reflections.

In my work, I often have the honour to work with families with children. Somehow, Simple American's recent post on the definitions of love came to my mind today, in the course of my work.

What exactly is love? How does one show it? How is it that sometimes the ones whom one loves may actually cause one more hurt? How is it that we may actually hurt the ones we love more than we've actually imagined?

Somehow, I crafted a poem in my mind to speak the voices of some children:

Do you love me?
I guess you do
But why is it that
I cannot sense your love?

How is it that
You've never shown your love
The way that I wish you would?
And then, I just don't feel your love

How could I trust?
That you love me
When I cannot feel loved
I can only guess that you love me

There were days when I feel hurt
That I cannot feel your love
I show my hurt by rejecting you
Even if it were to make you feel hurt

I don't understand what is love
I had thought you ought to show me so
But the hurt that you have felt
Makes you hesitant to show any more

Someone once told me
"That to love fully
We ought to drop the defences and pretences"
I don't know what he meant
Perhaps you can show me
Please show me what is love

3 comments:

pinkie said...

good poem! :)touches my heart...

oceanskies79 said...

Pinkie: Thanks for the compliments. I hope this poem could remind parents to see each of their children as a child who needs explicit demonstrations of love.

oceanskies79 said...

Thank you SA, for the compliments and the wishes.