Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Overdose?

This evening, while waiting for the double bass sectional to start, I practised the Marcello's Sonata in g minor. Actually it feels much easier for the fingers of the left-hand to play on the double bass that I usually play on at the orchestra (and I affectionately call this double bass "my boyfriend"). I also love its rounded and deep tone.

Then again, I find I was able to enjoy playing this sonata even on my own double bass. It feels like a good workout to play this sonata on my own double bass which I affectionately address as "my husband".

Anyway, after the sectional, I played a few other works, but went back to playing the Marcello's Sonata in g minor again.

Right now, I can recall one recent occasion when my mother asked me while I was practising at home, "How come you always play this?" (she was referring to the Marcello's Sonata in g minor.)

An overdose? Actually, this sonata can sound nice. I won't mind playing it many times. Admittedly, I do feel bored with it at times. I managed the boredom by switching to play something else before returning to play it again.

The thing is: it will not be fun if I were to always play it exactly the same way each time. I try to find slightly different ways to approach this sonata, and it feels good to experience that I able now more able to be in control of the way I want my double bass playing to sound.

1 comment:

pinkie said...

haha... sounds like me... kids said the same when I played my guitar last week!