Thursday, October 26, 2006

New set of scores arrived!

On this Tuesday's afternoon, I headed for one of the music book store in town to collect the set of double bass scores that I have ordered. Finding music book stores that sell double bass music in Singapore seems to be a very great challenge.

A few months ago, I could not find any single store in Singapore that carries Dragonetti's The Famous Solo in e minor (for double bass and piano). In the end, I decided that I shall ask a music book store to order this music for me.

On Lemur Music, the cost to purchase Dragonetti's The Famous Solo in e minor is US$26.95. Usually, it would just take about one to two weeks for the scores to reach me if Lemur Music has stock of the scores that I want.

When I ordered from the music book store that I had ordered from, it took about four to five weeks of waiting before I can lay hands on the scores. Including the air charge (which costs fifteen Singapore dollars), it costs me slightly more than S$46 to get a copy of Dragonetti's The Famous Solo in e minor.

I don't mind the slight wait, and the cost is comparable to that if I were to order from Lemur Music, but the disappointing part is that the music book store could not get copies of the two other music that I would like to get. I was told that one of the music was out-of-stock, one is temporarily out-of-stock. However, when I just checked up Lemur Music's online store, these two sets of scores are in-stock. It would then seem more effective and faster if I had ordered from Lemur Music.

Overall, after this recent experience, I figured that currently, Lemur Music seems to be a better source to purchase double bass scores than the local music stores in Singapore.

If I were to have lots of capital, I would like to consider the idea of setting up a store that sells/rents double bass music. This shall be a good service for the double bass community right here, won't it?

2 comments:

Ivan Chew said...

Hi, I'm not sure if you're aware of this -- the Library@Esplanade has a collection of music scores for loan. But I'm not sure if they have scores for Bass. You might want to email them to ask -- ask@nlb.gov.sg

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Ivan. Thanks for the information. I have been checking the collection there often enough. (hoping for new collection)

The double bass scores collection at the Library@Esplanade is in my opinion not meeting up to my current needs, as it has very few of the scores that I wanted.

Anyway, I need to use original copies for music exams, so I would prefer to purchase my own scores instead of borrowing.

But it does help if I can borrow the scores, try out, and if I like it, I buy it later.