Sunday, February 05, 2006

Walking alone

Maybe I have been on the auto-pilot walking mode of late? How do people cope when there seems nothing to look forward to?

***
Anyway, I did quite some walking this weekend. Last evening, I walked alone from Ang Mo Kio Central to Bishan MRT station. Pardon me, I did not bring a measuring tape with me. As such, I could not tell exactly how much distance had been covered yesterday. I could only say that it was easier to walk that particular stretch of pathways under the cool evening skies than under the hot scorching sun. The walk last evening took about half-an-hour.

***
Today, after the orchestra rehearsals, I took a bus to the bus-stop just in front of Orchard Emerald. Then I walked to the nearby Le Meridien Hotel Food Mall for dinner.

The urge was to walk.

After dinner, I headed for Plaza Singapura (a shopping mall) on foot. I stopped by a music shop to browse for music-books. However, there was nothing that caught my fancy this evening. I walked about the shopping mall and had a slice of chocolate chip walnut cake from Secrets Recipe. It tasted quite nice. If you have guessed it right, I was trying hard to make myself delight in the little things in life. It helped a bit, but was short-lived. I was not supposed to drink cold drinks, but I ended choosing watermelon drink that had ice in it. Now, I am coughing. I wonder if it was due to the many cold drinks that I have taken lately?

Still, the feet weren't tired. I walked on. The evening skies looked nicely blue today even though it was close to 7 p.m. On my mind, I had wanted to capture a photograph of this nice evening skies. However, in the end, I did not. I decided that some things are better left admired and not captured in film.

After Plaza Singapora, the walking trail this evening went like this:
- Cathay Building - Prinsep Street - Selegie Road - a stretch of Bt Timah Road - the site of the previous Kandang Kerbau Hospital (this was where I was born) - the KK Women's and Children's Hospital
- Kampong Java Rd - a stretch of Thomson Road - passed by United Square - then ended my walk at Novena MRT station.

Actually, my feet weren't tired as yet by the time I reached Novena MRT station. I had even considered the option of walking back home from Novena MRT station. But I decided to spare my feet. I took a MRT train back home.

I am thankful that Singapore is relatively safe for me to walk alone in relatively isolated places under the evening skies.

Maybe if I am brave enough, I shall consider walking alone from Singapore to the tip of Europe?

4 comments:

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sherry said...

Walking, alone or otherwise, is the single most thing that I love. Walking with others is fun, because we get to talk about stuff that may never have come up before, but walking along allows me to really study the true beauty of nature. Keep it up!

crazycat said...

i agree with SA.. maybe taking up slow exercise can calm ur mind and relax ur senses... :)

pinkie said...

walking seems therapeutic for you?