Thursday, January 19, 2006

How to make classical music appeal to the masses?

The question rings in my mind whenever it is time to publicise for the concerts that I will be playing in.

Many would have the perceptions that classical music would make one sleep? Others think that this is not the kind of music that they would enjoy. These are all valid. People have different preferences and they make their choices accordingly.

I just wonder, who are the ones who would go to support the concerts by the various symphony orchestra? How should we encourage people to listen to classical music and find a liking in it? How does classical music stay relevant in today's society?

Trying too hard may lead one to feel burned out. Trying too little may impose further restrictions.

Anyway, for last night rehearsals, we rehearsed Mozart's Magic Flute, and the fourth movement of Brahms' Second Symphony.

Our orchestra's president told us that for the upcoming concert, because the orchestra has drew tickets from SISTICS at the bulk discount rates, it will be cheaper to get tickets through the orchestra than from SISTICS. In addition, one would get supposedly better seats by getting tickets through the orchestra.

If I extrapolate this, it may imply that until the orchestra makes a good name for itself, it would be easier to extend the circle of influence through the orchestra members. Afterall, there are indeed incentives for doing so.

2 comments:

oceanskies79 said...

I must have been biased. I quite like Mozart's piano concertos, but if I find Brahms' symphonies more appealing than the Magic Flute.

oceanskies79 said...

I meant I found Brahms' symphonies more appealing.