Monday, January 30, 2006

Does the significant ones appreciate?

I remember one part of the movie, I Not Stupid too depicts the character, Jerry, trying hard to get his parents to attend his upcoming performance in school. He went to the extend of selling all his favourite cards in order to raise enough money in the hope of buying his parents' time to watch his performance.

Maybe this shall start off as a debate. If a child is keen in something that the parents have minimal interest in, should the parents still attend the child's performances anyway?

Or should the child just fit the parents' expectations and do what fits the parents' interests?

Whatever it is. I think I have resigned to the fact that as much as I could invite my parents, I could not expect to see them at most of my performances. Maybe I live in a totally different world from them, a totally different frequency? They don't seem to appreciate what I enjoy. So I began to think, if they do come to support, it is a real bonus. I wonder if they would come to support the upcoming concert that I will be playing in?

It just seemed easier to reframe that it is a total bonus if there was a friend or a family who came to support me in the concert. I wonder if the inherent message would be: Do things that makes oneself feel fulfilled even if it may not gain the support of significant others?

2 comments:

Lora said...

I think that's a very cultural question. In western culture, the nurturing and encouragement of a child's individual interests is very important. Parents do not always appreciate the interests and talents of thier offspring, but in the US it is generally believed that you show caring support of them anyway.

Sherry said...

I only had one piano recital. My parents had just gotten divorced, and I was eleven years old. My mother did not attend. As I approached the stage, I could see my father's smiling face, way in the back. It meant everything to me. Yes, it is very important.