Tuesday, September 13, 2005

What's Playing: Sibelius' Symphony No. 3

Since I have yet to understand his music, I decided I shall expose myself to his music. On Saturday, when I was with Mistipurple visiting the library@esplanade, I borrowed a CD containing the recording of Jean Sibelius' Symphonies.

Since reliable sources tell me that the orchestra will be rehearsing Jean Sibelius' Symphony No. 3 in C Op. 52 tomorrow, I am now listening to the recording of this very symphony.

I realised that this symphony by Sibelius has three movements:
I. Allegro moderato
II. Andantino con moto, quasi allegretto
III. Moderato - Allegro (ma non tanto)

What I am listening to right now is performed by the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Simon Rattle.

I am still trying to appreciate Sibelius' music. My ears still need some guidance. Anyway, what I like is the general mood that seems to be describing the austere and rugged landscapes of the North. Maybe there is beauty in the cold world out there?

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

i wish you success in understanding and interpreting sibelius' music better.

i would like to add that i look back with happiness at our saturday's outing. :)

oceanskies79 said...

Mistipurple: Yes, our saturday outing brought me pleasant memories, except for that moment of pain I had to endure.

Simple American: If you would like. Thanks for seeking to understand.