Saturday, September 03, 2005

9 Aug 05: Fourth generation?

I wonder if people have become bored reading about my trip to UK? Hopefully, it is otherwise. Anyway, I shall write on.

***
9 August is Singapore's National Day!

For a snippet of Singapore's history, here goes (source: http://www.sg):
Singapore was separated from the rest of Malaysia on 9 August 1965, and became a sovereign, democratic and independent nation.

Independent Singapore was admitted to the United Nations on 21 September 1965, and became a member of the Commonwealth of Nations on 15 October 1965. On 22 December 1965, it became a republic, with Yusof bin Ishak as the republic's first President.

Thereafter commenced Singapore's struggle to survive and prosper on its own. It also had to create a sense of national identity and consciousness among a disparate population of immigrants.Singapore's strategy for survival and development was essentially to take advantage of its strategic location and the favourable world economy.


***
In the morning, we had our second double bass sectionals. XM, another double bassist, had yet to return to Aberdeen. So there were only myself and MC for the sectional with P.

By the way, P. said his teacher was a student of F. Simandl. That means that P. is the third generation of F. Simandl's school of playing. Would that make myself and MC the fourth generation? I guess I would need more intensive lessons to claim so.

A biography of F. Simandl adapted from F. Simandl's New Method for the Double Bass Book 1 (revised by F. Zimmermann, Edited and annotated by Lucas Drew):
Franz Simandl was born 1 August 1840 in Blatna, Bohemia. He was the leading bassist of the Vienna Court Orchestra for many years. He was Professor of Double Bass at the Vienna Conservatory of Music from 1869 until 1910. His comprehensive F. Simandl's method was considered to summarise 19th century double bass technique. He died in Vienna oon 13 Dec 1912.


We went through Brahms' Second Symphony and Bruch's Violin Concerto. I felt a little disappointed with myself for not having excellent sight-reading skills. I was struggling to play some passages when I was sight-reading them. Then again, I had to constantly remind myself to be easier and kinder on myself. Too much "emotional beating and degrading" of oneself will not be good for one's sense of self-worth.

P. continued to advise me on posture. He gave several helpful suggestions on ways to sit more comfortably, and to play with greater ease. For that sectional, I was experimenting with the various suggestions.

A pity that sectional had to end by noon. We started at 9 a.m. with a half-an-hour break midway the sectional. That was our last official double bass section in Aberdeen. Here's to say: Thanks P..

P. told us that a boy and one of P. female student will be joining us to play for the festival orchestra. Great to have more company.

In the afternoon after lunch, there was festival orchestra rehearsal for the gala concert. But I had to miss it. Several of the members from our orchestra would have to travel to Tarves to perform there. Tarves is a thriving community less than 20 miles from Aberdeen.

Actually, I had thought that the performance on 9 Aug 05 where I would be performing Saint Saens' The Elephant would be just a mere informal concert at one of the art galleries. However when I arrived at Aberdeen, I got news to inform me that it was to be a ticketeted concert. That added a little amount of stress initially.

Just before the rehearsal started, I spoke briefly to the conductor to ask to be excused from the rehearsal.

***
More about 9 Aug 2005 shall follow. I seek your patience meantime.

By the way, if you have missed visiting this link, check out: New Kings.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

nahh, not getting bored with reading about your trip. it is interesting and i feel like i am there when i read about your experiences. thanks! :)