Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Elephant

Wednesday, 27 July 2005, 7.30pm

I decide that for the next two weeks, when I write about orchestra rehearsals or any practices related to the orchestra, I shall post the above image. The image is linked to my earlier post Care to Support, so you may check out for more details. This shall remind me that concert is drawing near. Hopefully this time, there will be someone who would listen to us play. For our last public performance, I was so worried that no one would listen to us play.

***
This afternoon we had orchestra rehearsals. Prior to the rehearsals, I met up with JZ and his string quartet team to rehearse the double bass solo (with string quartet) of Saint Saens' The Elephant. The Elephant was originally scored for double bass with piano accompaniment. This version with the string quartet is arranged by N. Ludwin.

Firstly, I thank the string quartet for being so gracious to accompany me, and being so patient with me.

I shall keep my fingers crossed that the string quartet did not curse me or get frustrated with me for a not-so-steady rhythm at that transitional passage where the music goes from ritard to a tempo. I think I would need to give a better cue. As such, I think we went through The Elephant many more times than we did the previous week. I shall get better. My readers, please pardon me, I don't get many chance to play solo in front of audience, so I am still trying my best to learn to be a good soloist.

Special thanks to QH for sitting through my practice with the string quartet and later even went through the solo passages with me. I quite like QH's interpretation of The Elephant.

Just for entertaining purposes, let me attempt to give you the programme for my version (after getting inputs from QH) of The Elephant . (Maybe I should go and write the programme notes for this? The orthodox way?):

It is morning, and one elephant by the name of "The Elephant" hears some nice rhythms. The Elephant is cautious. He tries to listen to the rhythms to get the beats right. Then he starts walking and tapping to the rhythms. Mind you, The Elephant like all elephants can't race like a cheetah. It walks at its most graceful and dignified pace, to the rhythms. Occassionally, The Elephant sings to the rhythm and soon a tune evolves.

The Elephant starts to gain confidence, and as the tune evolves, he turns and swings to the evolving melody. This is the time that you would see The Elephant at his most graceful moment. After one turn, he decides to make another turn. He says to himself, "Life is so beautiful". Yet, it seems that beautiful moments are not meant to last. Nevertheless he shall still cherish the memories. Then he blows his trunk and makes a call. Then a subtle one. Then he muster his strength and makes yet another one. The Elephant is getting a little tired by now. But he decides that he shall make an attempt to dance once more. So he picks himself up and once more, he dances.

This time, The Elephant is more confident and he takes more risks in his dance steps. He decides he shall not be restrained. Instead, he shall just dance and have fun!

Then he decides to do a different dance step to surprise his fellow audience. He leaps with the music and then up he goes. Next he gives a cry before he finally wraps up his dance with a forceful bow forward.


Do you like my story of The Elephant? Anyway, I think those who study music must have laughed their wits out at my story?

***
Rehearsals started later, and I was delighted that we got to play almost the entire Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. We played all the movements except for the third. That was fun. Furthermore, I like melancholic tunes.

At certain points, my left hand had cramps. I think more warm-ups would be needed. There is so much leaps and jumps to be done on the left hand, it is a test of one's left-hand technique.

We also played Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave. Fingals Cave is actually not a good piece to start a concert with for the double bass section. There are much more left-hand techniques required here than Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. It is certainly not a warm-up piece, so we are expected to warm-up with something else before the concert. Anyway, I like the challenges. I just wish I would be able to play as good as my tutor. With time, I shall get closer to that wish.

Counting down to 27 July, and to the trip to Aberdeen.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

LOL py, i laughed so hard, i forgot the original version of the elephant!!