Sunday, June 05, 2005

Getting in touch with one's mortality

I had wanted to write a post on this topic some time ago, but have only gotten down to pen it today. I don't really have a concrete idea of how to write a good post for this topic. I could only develop the ideas as I type along.

It is not pessimism that sets in. It is probably a great sense of awareness of one's mortality. As mortal beings, we live in this world, yet our stay is temporal. Illnesses set in and they often remind us that we are so vulnerable. We are not made to live forever.

The instinct for survival is such a strange one. We eat and breathe, so we could live. Even if we know survival does not mean forever.

Right now, my left shoulder is aching. It has been aching since this morning. It must be my sleeping posture, or could it be due to the flu? I know that muscle aches can be normal when one suffers from flu. The throat is still coarse and uncomfortable from lots of coughing. Thank goodness my tongue did not get an ulcer yet, though the injured side of it has been having a tingling sensation. I must say being subjected to illness and pain make me more vulnerable.

At times, there were experiences of the body not as strong as it used to be. At other times, there were thoughts of how unpredictable life can be. We have heard of the destructive forces of nature and how they have robbed countless of lives. We have also heard of man-made accidents which take numerous lives away. The more we are aware of these experiences, the more we get in touch with our mortality.

Maybe the best way I could end this post on a more positive note is by consoling ourselves that it is precisely because we are mortal that we have the motivations to strive (in our most basic of instincts) to make the most of our lives. Life is short, death is long. The best we could do is to make the most of life. With that, I shall end this post.

No comments: