Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I've got Mail!

About an hour and more ago, I reached home. Thank goodness that I had managed to complete a few recordings and a few tasks at hand, so I felt less loaded with work by the end of the day. There are still more work to be done tomorrow, I keep my fingers crossed that I would pull through these all.

Anyway, I reached home at about 9.30 p.m. Tonight was the night that I had to work at night.

There was one surprise when I got home. I found that I have got a mail by post! Guess what it is?

It is the Singapore Symphony Orchestra's 05/06 Concert Season booklet. This is the booklet that I would like to have. Having this booklet to refer to sure beats referring to the online versions of the Singapore Symphony Orchestra's o5/06 Concert Season listings. There is priority booking for subscribers. Furthermore, I am a Friends-of-SSO. I have no reason why I should not get myself a copy of the booklet.

I am unsure if I should subscribe to too many concerts performed by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. For the past one month, I felt not fully satisfied with the concerts by Singapore Symphony Orchestra. I dread to imagine feeling bored to sit through too many unsatisfying concerts in the future. Maybe my ears are demanding for some kind of sound that would melt my heart?

The Singapore Symphony Orchestra is playing reasonably well, just that it seems to be missing some X-factor, but I can't what that is. Somehow, my hunch is that while the orchestra sounded well, it is missing in its courage to take risks in performing.

I do not mean that the orchestra has to play awfully strange repertoires. In fact, I must admit that my ears still find more beauty in music from the Baroque, Classical and Romantic period. My ears needed more time to accustom to contemporary repertoires, especially those strange-sounding ones. What I meant by "missing in its courage to take risks" is that the orchestra players appear to be sometimes too afraid to make big mistakes on stage that they restrained themselves from playing the best that they could be. Playing the best involves taking greater risks (calculated ones, of course), I would think. Playing reasonably all right involves taking lesser risks because one may try not to play out difficult sections so as to avoid sounding wrong. This is my reasoning, and I have no idea if I am right. Yet, I suppose if I were, there will be beauty in taking risks. Letting go of the fear of making mistake, could be the key to develop that X-factor?

It seems to also be missing in a sense of unity as an orchestra. I guess this would just take time to develop, for members of the orchestra to feel together as one. It must have been the effects of the night, I am getting philosophical.

Nevertheless, despite several disappointments that I had encountered, I shall continue to subscribe to some of the concerts performed by the Singapore Symphony Orchestra. Hopefully, this time round, I could be more apt to choose concerts that would entice my ears.

1 comment:

mistipurple said...

hi ocean, just to say 'hi' and give u a *hug*, for you, being you! :)