Sunday, April 24, 2005

Starting the day with a splendid breakfast

This morning, I met my good friend, Mystic, for breakfast at Conrad Centennial Singapore Oscars Cafe & Terrace.

I won't be doing Mystic's sincerity any justice if I were to try to conceal how touched I have been by her attempts to make the occasion as special as possible. The breakfast today was meant as an early celebration to yours truly's 26th birthday. I must have been blessed to have found a friend in her.

On my part, I suppose I did owe her some apologies for being possibly one of the most difficult friends. I took quite a long time before I could decide where to have breakfast. Conrad's Oscar's Cafe has great breakfast, and I have been there twice and loving the breakfast each and every time. Then again, as if eating too often at the same place would kill me, I had thought that I could have breakfast at some place other than Oscar's Cafe.

So dearest, kindest and most sincere Mystic took the time and trouble to find out the menu of the breakfast of several other restuarants and cafe. She called me on the phone last night to give me a presentation of her findings. I was very touched by this gesture alone, though it did not help stop me from being insistent about having walnuts and fresh fruit juices in the menu. Then it had turned out that I would still prefer to trust Conrad's Oscar's Cafe for serving the nice walnuts and fresh fruit juices. After what had seemed like ages of deliberation on my part, we finally settled for Conrad's Oscar's cafe as the venue for today's breakfast.

I was worried that I might have been rather difficult for insisting that I prefer breakfast to lunch and dinner. Mystic, in my best understanding, is never a morning-person. For her waking up early for today's occassion, I could not help but to appreciate her sincere gesture of friendship, and sing lots of praises of her.

When I saw her early this morning, I was pleasantly surprised that she looked energetic for someone who is not a morning-person. I wonder what kind of preparations she might have gone through the day before to help ensure that she could start her day with such energy.

Breakfast at Conrad's Oscar's Cafe had been splendid. We both had the international breakfast buffet at the cafe.

My first course was the cereals. I added walnuts, raisins and milk to the cereals. I love the cereals and the rest of this course simply. Yummy. I love walnuts, especially the nice-tasting versions that the cafe served.

Both Mystic and myself also decided to do some cheese-tasting while having breakfast. There were at least more than six kinds of cheese available at the buffet. We took very small portions of at least six kinds of cheese and sampled it. To go with our cheese-tasting endeavours, we also added crackers to our plates. Some cheese tasted not as strong for our palate when we sampled them with the crackers. Cheese-tasting was fun, especially when one has the company of a friend. I think I must have been too fascinated with the cheese-tasting affair that my excitement was picked up by a lady who sat close beside us. Mystic told me secretly that the lady was rather amused by how we had behaved when we were sampling the cheese.

Later, we tried other items on the breakfast buffet's menu. The scrambled eggs item was nice. It had a texture that made it appetizing for my taste. I like the potato coin too. The smoked salmon was of a pretty good standard. There were quite an interesting variety of bread available, and it would have been perfect if there were some assistance to help toast or warm the bread. Actually, the breads aren't cold, it was just that I wished they were warmer. Yes, me and my fussy requests.

The fruit juice is one thing one should try. One could request the counter staff to help mix and blend different fruits for oneself. I must say that the fruit juices are considered fresh. I found the fruit juices refreshing, and they definitely make healthy choices.

We also shared a serving of muesli together. I added sweetened pears, apricots, and walnuts to the muesli. It pleased me when Mystic said she like the muesli and the mixture that I had added to the muesli. I personally think that the muesli tasted lovely. This cafe serves nice muesli.

We had several other items. I find the miso soup nice too.

Overall, today's breakfast has been memorable. The food was of a good enough standard for a breakfast lover and critic like myself.

I probably owe Mystic a thousand "thank-yous" for the treat to such a splendid breakfast. It was nice to start the day with such a lovely and satisfying breakfast.

It was so good, then the thought of it was able to feed me through the afternoon, and I skipped lunch altogether for today. I have a feeling that my mind was unconsciously telling myself that no lunch would beat today's splendid breakfast, so I did without lunch today.

Thank you Mystic, for the breakfast, and more importantly, your friendship and all your sincere gestures.

3 comments:

mistipurple said...

happy birthday dear pei yun, happy birthday to youuu... :)

Lora said...

Happy Birthday Pei Yun!

It sounds like you had a splendid breakfast. I hope you got to have some fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, it's my favorite thing in the whole world.

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Mistipurple and Lora, thank you for your early birthday greetings. Birthday is about two weeks away for me.

Lora: I did not see any grapefruit so I did not request for grapefruit juice. I shall look around for it if I were to have breakfast there again.