Thursday, April 14, 2005

Playing double bass energise. Using computer strains

My astigmatism seems to have worsen, and I blame it on the computer. Actually, I should also take part of the blame. I should have learn not to look at the computer screen for prolonged period of time. Then again, sometimes, I can be so focused on getting things done on the computer that I get "glued" to it and the monitor screen.

Using the computer also seems to strain my neck. It must have been my posture. Before today, I had placed my office's computer at a rather awkward position that I could not face the computer's monitor squarely. So I decided to adjust and shift the position of the monitor this morning so that I could face it squarely. I hope that change of the monitor's position could help reduce the strain on my eyes and neck.

While using the computer strains, playing the double bass energises. At least for today, playing the double bass did energise me.

I was pretty tired after work today. I ended the day in a very tiring manner. Two long and back-to-back sessions right at the end of the day. Then I chose to stay in office after the official office hours in order to write one of my case recordings. Time seems not enough at the workplace. I hope for more time to take short breaks to reflect and to recharge.

Anyway, after I left office this evening, I took dinner when I was nearby my neighbourhood. After dinner, I took an evening walk. Maybe the walk could have helped relaxed me a little.

At about 8.45 p.m., I practised on the double bass. I played some double bass exercises from F. Simandl's. Then I practised the Marcello Sonata in g minor again, and also took time to practise a passage from Mendelssohn's Fingals Cave. I tried to practise the passage that uses the "crab technique". It helped to play at a slower tempo to get the intonation right and to familiarise my fingers with the passage.

At the end of the practice, I felt good. I felt my mind, fingers and arms had a good workout. The practice had left me with a feel-good feeling. That is why I say playing double bass energises.

Anyway, that feel-good feeling seems to have subsided. Blame it on the computer again. I used the computer to write my blog and to surf the internet, sometime after the end of my practice. So I should learn to remember to take breaks after about 30 - 40 minutes use of the computer.

1 comment:

Goat Almighty said...

you might wanna invest in a uv screen protector for your monitor. $20-ish.