Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Maybe Nobody would listen to us play

Tomorrow is the day of my orchestra's performance. It is a public performance and admission is free. Yours truly will be playing too.

I tried to invite several people to the performance, but I did not get any positive reply. The date, the time and the venue of the performance seemed a little odd. Of course, I know that there would be some audience somehow. From past experience, there will be a few of the professors in the university who would come and support us. I suppose we could get a couple of students who happen to be at the venue?

Then again, if I were to form my assessment solely based on the kinds of reply that I have received when I invited people to the performance, I fear that there will be NOBODY to listen to us play. Such will be a sad affair.

I shall just keep my fingers crossed that my biased assessment will not come true. Whatever it is, we shall just play and enjoy the process of music making.

Meantime, here are the details and you are invited:

FREE ADMISSION
Wednesday, 9 March 2005, 6.30 pm
University Cultural Centre Foyer Level 1, National University of Singapore

The programme is as follow:

J.S. Bach Suite no.2
Sibelius Valse Triste
Saint-Saëns Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso
Tchaikovsky Symphony no.5
I. Andante - Allegro con anima

1 comment:

Emrah said...

Hmmm... I would definitely attend if I were closer. But flying from Nottingham, UK is a bit unpractical.

In fact, the programme is quite enjoyable. Sibelius is definitely one of my favourite composers! [I'm currently doing my musicology PhD on his solo songs for voice and piano.] Pitily enough, that little show-off piece overshadows many of his other brilliant works. I don't find that waltz a kitcshy piece as some people do. It sounds quite effective, creating a very effective atmosphere in the theatre play Kuolema. [You probably know the story of it, from the incidental music to the theatre play Kuolema (Death). A sick woman lies asleep in bed, dreaming herself in a dance with ghostly creatures performing an exhausting waltz that ceases with the arrival of Death in the guise of her deceased husband.]

Anyway... I am too chatty I suppose. I like your blog. Sounds sincere, pleasantly naive. Has been reading for a while, linking from Waterfall's. Good luck for the performance! I know many people will come to listen.