Sunday, February 20, 2005

More fun practising scales

It seemed to be more fun practising scales with "accompaniment".

Earlier this morning, I tried to play scales on the double bass. This time round, I have the benefit of having an accompaniment. For some reasons, I tend to sound more in tune when I play scales with an acompaniment. It is probably because I could counter-check my intonation against that of the accompaniment.

My accompaniment was a recorded piano accompaniment, and I got it to work with me by playing it on my PC's CD player. I played the C major and A minor scales, and it has been more fun and interesting to play with accompaniment. Somehow, it reminded me of my scales lessons with my double bass tutor. I tend to play scales better during his lessons than when I practise alone. This is probably so because he would usually play on the piano along with me when we practise scales.

Now, I have gotten myself an "accompanist" who will accompany me when I play scales. The best part is I can rewind, fast forward and pause whenever necessary without feeling that I have caused any inconvenience to my accompanist. Thanks to the Don Hermann's Accompanied Rudiments Course, I get to play scales on the double bass in a more interesting way.

2 comments:

mistipurple said...

you are indeed diligent. keep it up! i remember during my earlier years, my teacher made a time-table scheduling the different scales i had to practise daily. it made practising less daunting, as there were less to do each day (though it still came to about 4 major and minors, melodics and harmonics included. the contraries, similar number of arpegios etc.) in other words, the whole works, but broken up in the course of the week.
i am making such a hoo-ha about this, cos i really hated scales, but this really made it so much easier, and i actually miraculously liked it at the end!

really wanted to share this with you again pei yun! i want to make this scales journey less intimidating for you!

oceanskies79 said...

Thanks mistipurple.