Wednesday, February 09, 2005

First Day of Chinese New Year

During these times of melancholy moods, I am beginning to appreciate my 'husband' more than usual. He was the one who kept me company so that I don't have the time to wallow in self-pity or depression. He was the one who bear with my idiosyncrasies and accepted me nevertheless. He was the one who could communicate with me, when I am prefer to be in my "sacred inner world" and away from the external world others live in.

On the morning of the first day of the Chinese New Year, I tried to work out the fingerings for the fourth movement of the Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. I probably won't get to play with the orchestra as it is only going to play the first movement of the same symphony for the upcomign concert. Anyway, I practised the fourth movement to please myself, not anyone. Satisfactory even though not perfect. Anyway, my "husband" reminded me to learn to celebrate humble improvements, while I work towards the bigger goal. So I did. Doing so kept me a little delighted this morning.

In the afternoon, I went with my siblings and mother to visit my maternal grandparents for the Chinese New Year. My father joined us later in the afternoon at my grandparent's place.

I read from this book titled "Chinese Customs and Festivals in Singapore" that the Chinese New Year is a time to reaffirm family and friendship ties. The top on the list of priorities during this festive season is to offer New Year greetings to the heads of the households. The traditional practice, I understand from this book, is to kneel before one's parents when presenting the New Year good wishes. I think I would have felt awkward if I had to do so. In today's time, such a practice has been simplified to my favour. I only had to wish my parents a "Happy Chinese New Year". But I believe that there are still families who still continue to adopt the traditional practices.

It was fine to visit my grandparents. My grandmother is a nice lady and a rather good host. Yet, I felt rather drained just at the thought of having so many other relatives visiting her on the same day. Many of these relatives are folks that I will only meet once a year. After I greeted the relatives with Chinese New Year greetings, I tried to make myself as invisible as possible. I avoid making small talks for I do not find pleasure in doing so. Oh well, even though I don't quite enjoy Chinese New Year visitations, I shall bear with them. Thank goodness they are just a once-in-a-year affairs, and the actual number of households that I have to visit is still comparatively manageable.

With that, I shall end this post, rather abruptly. I don't feel motivate to write more when my internet explorer software seems to give me problems for the night. Anyway, wishing you and your family a year of good health and prosperity.

No comments: