Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Short Post about Dvorak

Even though I am actually listening to Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 tonight, I shall write a post about Anton Dvorak.

Waterfall has wrote a comment on my previous blog to ask what would be "recommended listening" to get acquainted with Dvorak's music. This got me thinking. I must confess that I am not the expert where music is concerned. I have never been majored in music for one thing.

I could say that I have a personal liking for many of Dvorak's music. Many of his music somehow has this "down-to-earth" and "country-like scenic" feel which appeal very much to my ears.

Perhaps if you would like to find out a little more about Dvorak and his music, here is a site you could try checking out:
http://dvorak.musicabona.com/

Though I have yet to listen to all the works by Dvorak, I find the works to be mentioned below very nice ones among those that I have listened to.


  • Romance in f minor for violin and orchestra, Opus: 11 (I especially like the recording that is played by Itzhak Perlman which I have heard over the classical radio station.)
  • Violoncello Concerto No.2 in b minor, Opus: 104
  • Violin Concerto in a minor, Opus: 53

In addition, I generally like the symphonies and string quartets written by Dvorak, at least those that I have had a chance to listen to. For now, I just hope that Waterfall would like listening to my "recommended listening" to some extent?

By the way, Waterfall is author of a thoughtful and well-written blog. You may wish to check out her blog: http://asortofnotebook.blogspot.com/ (I keep my fingers crossed that she won't mind me putting a link to her blog.)


1 comment:

Waterfall said...

I don't mind at all! Thanks for the kind words. I was actually wondering if it would be OK if I put your blog in the list of links on "A Sort of Notebook." I didn't know if you'd mind, so I hadn't added it, but would like to if that's OK.

Thanks for the suggestions!