Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Listening to Haydn

I am feeling rather tired from the day of work. I had been working since 8.45 a.m., and had only left my office at 9.30 p.m. because tonight I was on night duty. Of course, there were lunch break and short moments of break along the way.

I listened to the CD of some works by Haydn this morning. Specifically, I listened to the Cello Concerto 1. It sounded nice. Haydn's music gives me a different "feel" as compared to that of Mozart. I have yet to find the right words to describe. Both are nice in their own ways.

At the same time, it didn't seem to do much justice to nice music by listening to it when one is feeling tired. I felt I could not appreciate it at its full value.

Right now, I am listening to the Haydn's Cello Concerto No 2. I have just finished listening to the second movement. I guess I shall finish listening to the third (the last movement) of the concerto. That is a nice way to give proper closure to tonight's listening endeavours.

Last but not the least, I have Waterfall to thank for getting me interested in listening to Haydn. Her post titled For Haydn Seekers led me to an article which tempted me to listen to Haydn, for the sake of curiosity. But listening to Haydn's Cello Concerto, I actually still prefer Dvorak's. Yet, Haydn's has merits in its own ways.

1 comment:

Waterfall said...

Cool, glad I got you to listen to Haydn! :-) He tends to be overshadowed by Mozart, which is very unfortunate (even if Mozart WAS the greatest composer that ever lived!). I was listening to Dvorak the other day, but he is one composer that I'm really not all that familiar with. What you recommend listening to as a way to "get acquainted" with his music?