Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Reading Time

I had bought this book title: The Inner Game of Work by W. Timothy Gallwey more than 2 years ago, but I have yet to finish more than half the book if I recalled correctly. Yesterday, I thought of this book, and picked it up. I read the Preface and the Introduction last night.

I quite like the book: The Inner Game of Music by Barry Green with Timothy Gallwey. There was some inertia trying to start reading this book, but when I read one-fifth of it, it proved to be easy to relate to, and useful in helping me be more relaxed and less self-conscious in my playing of the double bass. So you bet I have finished reading the entire book.

What was pleasant surprise for me then, after I had finished reading the book and was practising some of the strategies, was that my conductor commented that he observed that I have become more relaxed in my playing of the double bass. And he meant it in a positive sense, because being more relaxed, I had sounded better and natural. That is certainly a delightful feedback for a music instrument player to receive.

Now I just hope I can do the same with The Inner Game of Work.

I shall make time out each day for the rest of the week to read this book. This would mean that I will spend less time on the internet, and on blogging. Soon it will be my reading time. Yes, I will be reading The Inner Game of Work.

1 comment:

Waterfall said...

I have "The Inner Game of Music" and have also had trouble getting started. I usually get through the first few chapters but never seem to get any further than that. I'll pick it up again and see if it can help me improve my piano skills the way it's helped you with double bass!