Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Last Rehearsal for 2004

My orchestra was rehearsing the Yellow River Cantata tonight. The double bass section was loud and strong tonight. We have a strength of six double bassists playing. Against seven first violinists, about six second violinists, three violists and three cellists. I suppose the orchestra has had a very strong foundation tonight because of the existence of a proportionally large double bass section.

Tonight was the orchestra's last rehearsal for the year 2004. Our next rehearsal will start early next year. Tonight's rehearsal will be the last time that we play at our regular rehearsal venue before it undergoes a major renovation. I heard that the renovation will start very soon.

I wonder what will happen to the orchestra's double basses? Although I have my own double bass, I will use the double bass which is under the orchestra's property whenever I go for my orchestra rehearsals. It is just too inconvenient to have to carry my own double bass around every week when I do not own a vehicle. I can't drive either, I have no valid driving licence.

The orchestra double basses have been kept in one of the stores at the site of our regular rehearsal venue, but now, with its renovation, I wonder where the double basses would be shifted to?

I think I will miss the rehearsal venue. For four years of my undergraduate years, I have been practising there. Subsequently after graduation, I have continued to have orchestra rehearsals there. Some of my more happier times in the university were spent there.

Now it is time to say parting words to the rehearsal venue, I do not know what to say. I have not felt a sense of lost or grief yet. Perhaps it is because it is the time of the night, and I am too tired to grief. Then again, fond memories of the rehearsal venue will continue to live within me. I shall just treat this major renovation as something that would be positive. Perhaps the renovation would enable the rehearsal venue to serve the musicians better in the years to come.

For now, one question that has yet been answered is that of where the orchestra would practise in early year 2005? I have no idea, and I am just waiting for further updates from the orchestra's committee.

No comments: