Sunday, November 07, 2004

Unwinding at the Hotel's Lounge - 4 Nov 2004

After dinner on the 4 Nov 2004, we returned to the hotel. My friend wanted to listen to the hotel's resident band sing. She heard them the past few nights and she found that she quite like their singing and their songs. We found out that the band would start singing at 9.30 p.m., so we waited till then before making our way to the hotel's lounge at the ground floor.

I understand from the notice at the notice board that the band were from the Philippines. There were four of them in the band, and they starting being the hotel's lounge's resident band since August 2004. The band's name was The Emotions


The Emotions. Posted by Hello

Being not in favour of alcoholic drink, I asked for a glass of guava juice. My friend requested for a glass of white wine. In the lounge, we unwinded with music in the background. I made song-requests for the following songs: Yesterday Once More, Top of the World, I can't live a day without you, and Over the Rainbow. I suspect that the singers from the band like songs by the Carpenters. They sang all the Carpenters' songs that I had requested. My friend started expressing her disappointments that the songs were "too old" for her liking.

I think the ladies in the band sang fairly well. I quite like the way that they harmonised with each other. I shall not compare their singing against that of Karen Carpenter, I think Karen Carpenter's singing has been lengendary, beyond comparison. Nevertheless, the ladies in the band did deserve a fair amount of credits for their fairly good singing. The male lead singer has had a good rich voice, though his diction needed some work upon.

There were a couple of people who requested for birthday songs dedication. Apparently, there were two people among the guests at the lounge who were celebrating their birthday. Their friends had openly dedicated birthday songs to these two people. My friend was not one of them though, I am not sure if she would have strangled me if I did dedicated a birthday song to her. So I did not. I think she would probably not have like that kind of attention from strangers.


The music had been pretty nice at the lounge, and would have been perfect for unwinding if not for the cigarette smoke in the air. For quite a while, I was trying hard to bear with the cigarette smoke that hovered around the lounge. Maybe it was me, I got quite upset when cigarette smoke started blowing towards me. I think I must have showed my feelings of unhappiness straight on my face and my body language. I think they had finally showed through so strongly that they somehow prompted my friend to finish her drink and ask for the bill. Perhaps, now you would have a slight idea of how it was not easy to bear with a travel companion like me. My friend must have had quite an amount of patience to be able to bear with me and my idiosyncrasies.

No comments: