Thursday, October 07, 2004

Tonight I play...

Tonight I played on the double bass. The one that is rightfully mine, kept in the premises of my own home. It has been a while since I have played on this double bass.

It feels nice to be able to play on it. Yet again, I secretly wish that it could have a more richer and "open" sound just like the double bass I have been playing on in the University orchestra. I am contemplating if I should keep playing on it and hoping that one day this double bass would be seasoned enough to give that rich, seasoned and "open" sound I have long yearned for. If my skills had been much much better, it may not have mattered what kind of double bass I am playing on. Anything will sound just as great. Of course, admittedly, a good instrument produces a good sound with less effort. Then again, skills of the player do play a part too.

I am not sure if I could wait that long. There is no guarantee that the more I play on this instrument, the more likely that it will sound the way I wish it could be. I often find myself entertaining the thought that one day I would find another master for this double bass, and I could find myself another double bass with a sound closer to what I wish to hear. I hope for a double bass that could produce a clear, rich, seasoned and open sound with minimal effort. Such is a double bass that could motivate me to practice longer and more effectively.

Now I just have to pray hard that I could find another double bass that would please my ears, and my playing. At the same time, I pray hard that I could find someone who is willing to then acquire my existing instrument for a good price. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please?

No comments: