Sunday, October 31, 2004

Scales Work-out

I am pleased to share that I have been playing scales on the double bass ths evening. Here I take this chance to thank two of my fellow bloggers for sharing with me several helpful tips on getting motivated to play scales.

Mistipurple: I must say that the playing one octave scales has indeed helped take away much of the resistance. I finished playing all the scales for Grade 5 Double Bass (in Grade 5, most of the scales practices are only at one octave) earlier this evening. Hopefully, I could get better and move on to the Grade 8 scales soon enough. When I get to play the Grade 8 scales, I will have to play at least two octaves. By then, I think your suggestion of a weekly timetable for scales will come in very handy. The Grade 8 scales practice is at least 9 pages long!

Waterfall: Your suggestion of getting my scale practice from certain pieces came useful. I had a kind of scale work-out when I tried to play one of the sonatas by Marcello. It was rather difficult to play in tune though, because it was more than scales. There were a lot of minor third intervals, and a lot of jumps to be made to play this piece. Now I figured I have to look for other pieces that will be more suitable for the purpose of scale practice.

As usual, after playing my scales, I was more happy to play pieces. I think I still have to work on my intonation. I believe my dear friend who had accompanied me on the piano during my recent music exams will nudge me gently to work harder on intonation if she were to hear me play this evening. For goodness, she is blessed with perfect pitch! Bearing in mind that she often always put things to me so nicely, I will be happy to be nudged a bit by this friend of mine, for my own good.

Many of the times when I practice on the double bass, it always feel like I have had a work-out. It takes me some time to unpack my instrument from the instrument bag, and to carry it to one of the rooms to start practice. I would need to set up the music stand, and take time to tune the instrument too. My dear double bass is almost standing at 2 metres tall, and it does take some effort to play. Whatever it is, most of the time playing on the double bass prove to be recharging for the mind and the body. Indeed, this evening I not only had a work-out on the double bass, I had a scales work-out. Hopefully, in time to come, my playing of scales will show improvement.

5 comments:

mistipurple said...

dear pei yun, i have always wondered "what kind of personality" would pick a double bass for her major! firstly its the size of the instrument esp.since you are so petite!
i would like to ask a tuba or an euphonium player too, esp. in a marching band! probably its the band instructor decision, so no choice!
Is it the "voice" of the instrument that appeals to you? eg."human voice" of the cello or the viola?

oceanskies79 said...

Hi mistipurple, I don't know if I have an answer to your question. Let me try. When I was first joined a Chinese Orchestra (yes, the modern Chinese orchestra uses the double bass), I was recommended to play the double bass because of my height. I was tall enough.

Truely, I only have my real lessons on the double bass when I joined the university's Symphony Orchestra during my undergraduate years. Maybe it is persistence that has made me continue to play the double bass in my undergraduate years.

I like the sense of being able to provide the foundation for the rest of the orchestra, and listening to the various relationships between the various instruments of the orchestra.

I love it when I hear my tutor play on the double bass. His double bass playing sounds so lovely and charming. That lovely double bass sound that can really sing. I wish I could play as good as him one day.

Waterfall said...

Hi, glad the scale practices are working out for you!

I always complain that I can't carry my piano around with me and people who play "transportable" instruments are so lucky ... but I guess other instruments, particularly the double bass, have their own challenges!

Just curious, how tall are you? Most double-bass players I've met are tall men ... interesting to read about how you're interested in double bass.

Take care!

Waterfall

oceanskies79 said...

Hi Waterfall, thank you once again for your tips for playing scales. I am about 1.67 metres tall. Still shorter than my dear instrument. *wink*

angelhee said...

Dear Pei Yun,
I have great difficulty identifying the last 4 chords in Grade 8 aural. I simply don't know where to start to identify them - listen to the bass line is ok but then V or 1c or IIb or IV all have the same bass note - then how? do you have any tips for me to practise?
bhlim_99@yahoo.com.sg