Monday, October 25, 2004

Quarter-life Crisis

Yes, it is my hunch at work again. Not that I am dependent on my hunches to live my life, it is just that they can get quite closely accurate at times. My hunch have been sensing and telling me that many of my peers could be going through a quarter-life crisis. Not one or two, but many.

After reading related articles found on the web, I must admit I could be showing some symptoms, though I have yet to reach that of a crisis whereby I go into the "down-times" I had been. So maybe it won't hurt much to write a bit on this. Writing can serve as a means for me to connect with myself, so hopefully writing about quarter-life crisis could be a form of therapy for myself. Even if this may seem a wishful thinking on my part, I shall write anyway. Writing about things energises me more than talking about things.

But I am not any expert. I haven't lived beyond the quarter-life! So, I shalln't act like an expert. Instead, I will share a few links to some articles which I could somehow relate to. For me, reading about the experience of quarter-life crisis is a relieving one, because it normalises the occasional feelings of uncertainty and insecurity I have been feeling from time to time. Maybe it is not just because of my INFJ profile that I had no idea what I really want to do for my life, it's could be partly a quarter-life crisis? Mine was probably a mild but persistent one.

If you have read my blog carefully enough to decipher the meanings behind, I am searching....searching for that purpose of mine in life. There is many things I wish to achieve. I have gained, to some extent, the ability to generate my own income to feed and clothe myself. There are still so many things I have yet to achieve, and I have no idea what lies ahead. I am not sure how exactly I want my life to be. So I am still searching. It is not that I am not contented with the present state of things. I just fear being overly contented would led to stagnation. And more so, I believe there is more beyond the current state of things.

Maybe I am walking my journey of life. The nature of it is that of a transition. New challenges in the world of unknown. I just have to remind myself not to sull into depression or self-pity. It does not feel nice to stay down for too long...speaking from experience. So I shall walk the journey, and take comfort in this thought that even if I haven't been walking as fast as I would like to, it is merely because I was given the benefit to stop and smell the flowers along the way. And if there were detours, well, it is because nice flowers are hidden in special unknown spots which necessitate detours.

These are a few of the articles I have found online on quarter-life crisis, hope some paragraphs may shed some insights on you:


Pleasant reading meantime.

1 comment:

oceanskies79 said...

Hi seraphic, thanks for sharing your insight. =)
I will agree there's nothing wrong feeling down. I feel down many times, and they did alert me to things that have been wrong so that I could see if I wish to do something. I guess I needed to remind myself not to "stay down" for too long. Looking back, it often drains the spirit to stay down too long....say months and months and months, even when the problem may have ceased to exist?
Trying to manage the transition.