Saturday, October 23, 2004

Museum Spree

Today's a relatively rainy day as well. There was drizzle in the late morning, and early afternoon, and it was raining in the mid-afternoon. Thank goodness that there wasn't a heavy downpour today.

It must have been a spur of the moment that I decided to tour five different museums today. Here's outlining the five museums that I have been today: Singapore Art Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum (Armenian St), Singapore Philatelic Museum, Singapore History Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum (Empress Place). My main purpose is to see if there's any new exhibits since the last time I have been to the respective museum.

Among the museums, my most preferred is the Singapore Art Museum. I simply love its architecture, the lighting, the courtyard, and the general ambience of the place. It was also easier for me to relate to the art works. I have to thank to my ex-teacher who had taught me Art History in my secondary school years. The Art History lessons gave me a foundation to start me in my journey of art appreciation.

The Asian Civilisation Museums (Empress Place) is full of interesting insights about the Southeast, South Asia and West Asia region. There is so much information, I must say that I have yet to fully digest everything that is available.

I must say I am looking forward to the new museum building of the Singapore Art Museum. I am aware that there is many good historic artefacts that are not being displayed at the temporary site of the Singapore Art Museum. This is such a pity. Nevertheless, I must applaud the museum personnel for cleverly putting up a history museum based on the theme of the river at its temporary site. This is definitely appropriate since the temporary site lies along the Singapore River.

As for the Asian Civilisation Museums, I came on the wrong day perhaps. There were changes of exhibits going on at various spots of the museums, and I ended up not having much new things to view.

Perhaps my trip to the Singapore Philatelic Museum would have been more fruitful if I could have an ardent stamp-collector with me to guide me along. I realised I spent the least time there. There appears not much for me to view. It is perhaps because I had difficulties relating to stamps.

So here is my day, I did quite a bit of walking, I would suppose. I must say that the museums in Singapore are interesting, and it would be ideal if Singaporeans could patron our museums more often. So if you are interested to find out more about the above-mentioned museums, please click on this link: http://www.nhb.gov.sg

Meantime, I must figure out how to renew my existing museum pass (a kind of annual membership card) as it is going to expire very soon. Till my next post, please take care and enjoy your weekend.

No comments: