Monday, October 04, 2004

Finding Balance in a Busy World

Lately, I have been feeling overwhelmed with work. There seems so many things to do, and yet there's only so much time to spare. I can feel my mind swirling at many times of the day. A sign of feeling overwhelmed and overloaded with too much thinking and work.

I suppose my best bet now is to find a way to attain a level of balance in this busy world that I am living in. Too much work, it can tire a person and may lead to insanity. Yet again, too little work, it can lead to boredom, a lack of satisfaction and a lack of good sense of purpose in one's life.

I am trying to reflect if I could have been more effective, and then working on the little steps to become more effective. There is a need to be productive, yet again, there is a need to bear in mind that time spent trying to do work is not equivalent to productivity. In fact when one tries to still stay in the office when one is feeling dead tired, thére's usually no productivity, but perhaps a false sense of security that one is trying hard to do something! Being wise to know when it should be time to stop and rest can help one find the time to recharge, and to continue to be productive the next day.

In such times when there is so much to do, I must be more conscious of my own MBTI profile. Being a "J", I must admit that I can have a tendency to wish to reach closure in the external world. There seems to be a tendency to wish to complete things in order to find a sense of relief. At such times, it helps to remind oneself, "Work can never be really done. More just keeps coming.", we are human beings, not human doings. There is certainly more in life than to complete the work at hand. Of course, it does not mean one should be irresponsible and not to do anything at all. It is simply a shift in focus that there is more to life than work, and well, we often need to lighten up a bit, and learn to accept that we can't do it all. So I have to consciously learn: When it is time to work, work; When it is time to play, play.

Maybe this blog is meant to be a pep talk for myself. I needed some encouragement and support admittedly. Some things just have to be done, but somehow it seems that I have been feeling out of sync because I feel that I am a little behind the pace that I have set for myself. I am not sure if I could have been too hard on myself, but I must admit I have more backlog and work on my hands than I could handle with poise.

Balance, learn to find that balance. I guess for the moment, I just have to hang on there, and hopefully, time will help, and things will get better slowly but surely?

No comments: